Wednesday, February 1, 2012

DIY Cake Stand

I have always had a fascination with cake stands.  It is such an easy and beautiful way to display decadent deserts, savory appetizers and even accessories or bath products.  I use one in my bathroom for my frequently used products and it adds a nice dimension to the countertop, giving it a less cluttered feel. 

Hello classy and interesting, goodbye boring and disorderly.

Of course, unless you find one thrifting (which is entirely possible b-t-dubs), cake stands tend to be pretty pricey.  You know me.  I don't do pricey well.

I have made them before using vintage plates with candle sticks and wine glasses in a pinch, and have liked them, but some of them looked like they were, well, made at home. 

My goal in DIY projects is to always to make something look like I didn't make it myself.  This project is great for all you anti-homemade home-makers!  What some of my previously made cake stands lacked in cohesiveness making them appear a little more do-it-yourselfy, this one has.

{See!  If you didn't already know that this was hand made, you wouldn't.  Right?....... Right?!}

Want to make one of your own?  Here's what you need:

-  1 Clear Glass Plate
-  1 Candlestick
-  Glossy Spray Paint in a color of your choice (I used this in celery)
-  Glass Glue


Follow these super easy steps:

1.  Clean your glassware.  I got mine at a thrift store, so there was a nice layer of dust and the marked prices to scrub off.  You don't want any of that to shine through your beautifully painted finished project.  Gross!

2.  Flip your glass plate so the backside is facing up.  Spray paint this side of the plate and the candlestick.

3.  Allow to dry and paint additional coats if needed.

4.  Once your dishes are dry, paint a layer of your glass glue on the rim of the candlestick and attach to the center of the plate.  Let it dry completely before using.

Sidenote:  When cleaning your cakestand, I would recommend wiping just the top with a rag.  You can use soap and water, but I would not advise submerging the stand as it may chip the paint.  Definitely do NOT put this in the dishwasher.

5.  Use your pretty new cakestand.  Bake a cake.  Put a fake flower on it and display its beauty for all to see.  Use it for your bracelets that you don't know where to put.  Be creative and love it!

That's it.  Easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy.  Enjoy it and show it off!



No comments:

Post a Comment