Monday, March 19, 2012

It's a cake! No, it's a Cheeseburger! No, it's a Cakeburger!

True story.  A cake that looks like a cheeseburger.  It's for real.

Today is my Grammy's 84th birthday and her all time favorite food is the good ol' fashioned cheeseburger.  She always said she was a cheap date because a drive through Wendy's was all it took to make her happy.  I may or may not get that from her and if I could justify it, I may or may not eat a Cheeseburger every other day of my life.

Along with my love for cheeseburgers, we all know I have a soft spot for sweets.  Combine the 2 and it makes me weak in the knees.  SO, for Grammy's birthday celebration, we had Cheeseburgers for dinner and Cakeburger for desert.  Check it out. 




Grammy LOVED this cake.  It was a lot of work, but so worth it to see how thrilled she was.  Food is love in our family, and she could see just a glimpse of how much I love her when I walked in with this cake.

In order to make this beast of a cake, I combined about a bajillion recipes.  I used this recipe for the cake and buttercream icing.  For the icing, I omitted the cocoa powder and ovaltine and substituted with powdered sugar to thicken it to the consistency I wanted so it would be white instead of brown, which meant I could color it.  I made the brownie from this recipe to act as the "burger."   As you may have already noticed, all of the recipes I chose were by Joy the Baker because if you want something to be tasty, you use her recipes.  It's a fact.

Once I had my baked goods made and cooled, I frosted the bottom bun on the cake stand and topped it with the brownie.  I then colored some fondant orange and cut out a large square to act as the melted cheese.  I rolled and cut it on parchment paper so it was really easy to apply to the brownie.  I just carefully placed it "cheese" side down on the brownie and slowly peeled the parchment away.  Easy peasy lemon squeezy. 

The next layer was the lettuce.  I pressed coconut, which I had dyed green and then toasted, into the cheese, making sure some of it would peek out the sides.  It got a little messy, but sloppy burgers tend to be the best kind, so I went with it.  I then piped on the icing I had colored yellow and red to act as "mustard and ketchup" using good ol' fasioned plastic baggies with a hole cut in the bottom.  Finally, I placed the top bun on, frosted it with my tan icing and sprinkled rice krispies on the top in place of "sesame seeds."

During my assembly, I had some major icing melting problems because my kitchen was super hot since spring decided to be summer in Ohio and I had the oven on all. day. long.   I reluctantly went with the flow and accepted its imperfections since I ran out of time and could do nothing about the weather.

On a side note, this weather phenomenon also made for an adventurous ride to my parents since we thought it would be a good idea to drive directly into the hail and tornado producing storm that proved to be the scariest experience of my life. 

Good news.  Guy, girl, dog, and cake all survived.

No comments:

Post a Comment