Thursday, April 21, 2011

Things that make me smile.

Introducing a new segment.  Things that make me smile.  This will potentially, and hopefully be a weekly post complete with pictures and commentary of things none other than, you guessed it, things that make me smile during my week.

Smile #1

Let's start with the fabulous surprise I came home to last night.  Tomorrow, my husband and I will have been married for 6 months.  Wow, crazy, gasp!  It's hard to believe that much time has passed already!  We have spent many nights snuggled up in blankets on the couch trying to keep warm during the frigid winter nights, fantasizing about our definition of the perfect warm summer evenings so seemingly distant.  Now that spring has sprung (at least temporarily, it is Ohio, I'm being realistic) perfect nights are on the horizon.  In my mind, that consists of sitting on our porch sipping wine and engaging in conversation, maybe while playing a vigorous round of scrabble while Gus chews on his bone by our feet.  Soaking in the night air, the sounds of crickets and the flickering of lightning bugs in the tree span behind us.  However, until last night, we would have been sitting on the ground.

Ben surprised me with my dream outdoor café table!  I have the best husband in the world!  It's a vintage piece found at our favorite antique mall made of black rod iron intricately woven into delicate swirls reminiscent of one you may see outside a café in Rome.

{Gorgeous right?!  I can taste warm night air now}

{Can't forget the antique watering can for the garden we're working on!}

BIG SMILE!

Smile #2

I am a firm advocate in promoting the maxi style for women of lesser stature.  For those who may not know, the maxi is a garment that reaches the ankles.  Depending on the formality, it may touch your feet or skim the floor.  Many shorter women think it will be too long and therefore accentuate their smaller build.  On the contrary, it actually elongates the body and gives the illusion of height - flats or heels depending on the appropriate selection for the particular skirt or dress.  All it may need is a quick hem.  If you can't sew, go here for a shortcut.  

A few days ago, I found a maxi skirt that I fell in lust with at American Apparel.  It's gloriously swirly and nude in color and I can't wait to debut it this Sunday for Easter.  Pictures are promised.

{you can find this skirt in a variety of colors at your nearest American Apparel or click here}

Pearly whites are gleaming.

Smile #3

Comfort food.  When I don't know what to make for dinner, sloppy joes are usually my fall back plan.  My mom makes the best sloppies and they make me smile because not only are they delicious, but they remind me of being a kid again.  Of course the leftover red mustache and sticky hands aid in that trip down memory lane.

{I made it extra shhhhlllllloppy for ya!  Name that movie}

{We ran out of bread, so I had mine Megan style.  Gluten Free with a cheeeeesy topping}

Closed mouth smile going on here due to the engorging of my delicious meal.

Don't worry.  I will share the smiles.  Follow the recipe below to find yours!

For the sauce:

- Small onion, chopped
- 1-2 TBS oil
- 2 TBS cider vinegar
- 2 TBS brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp mustard
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup water

For the meat:

- 1 - 1/2 lbs ground beef
- Onion, chopped

Brown small chopped onion in oil.  Add cider vinegar, brown sugar, mustard, ketchup and water.  Simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.

In the mean time, brown your ground beef with your chopped onion.  Drain well and add the sauce.

Enjoy!








No comments:

Post a Comment